Lane hosts 3-day blood drive

Posted on January 30, 2014 | in News | by

Collection averages 55 donations per day

Lane will host a three-day blood drive beginning Feb. 4, when the Lane Blood Mobile sets up shop outside the Center Building cafeteria.

The Blood Mobile usually arrives once per term, and leaves with approximately 55 donations per day. This year, the Lane Blood Center has a goal of leaving with 180 usable donations after three days.

Lane Blood Center’s Marketing and Donor Recruitment Director Marshall White said the blood drives are especially important because the Lane Blood Center is the sole pro- vider of blood to the county’s hospitals.

“We’re counting on Lane big-time,” White said. “It’s a large audience. We don’t have that kind of opportunity every day. It takes all of our resources to do this. Without it, we wouldn’t be able to meet our hospital demand.”

White said one blood donation has the potential to save up to three lives, because the blood collected from Lane’s winter term blood drive will be filtered into three separate “blood products.”

These products include leukocyte reduced, a dense concentration of red blood cells. Plasma is also separated, frozen and taken to area hospitals for transfusions. The third product is cryoprecipitate, which White characterized as “the glue” holding the previous two blood-parts together.

“There’s a transfusion every 33 minutes on average in Lane County,” White said. “If that weren’t enough, there is no artificial substitute to blood. It’s not like it can be simulated or extracted through some other avenue. It’s only from the volunteer donor.”

Although she has never donated before, Lane student Darcy Peterson said she would consider donating on campus.

“When you make something like (a blood drive) that easy and accessible, people who wouldn’t normally do that would have a greater chance of doing it,” Peterson said.

White said one of the com- mon reasons people don’t donate blood is that they’re never asked to. Donation numbers are also threatened by the public’s phobia of needles.

“If you’re hesitant, we more than understand,” White said. “That’s why we have very caring, warm, professional phlebotomists and nurses to care for people.”

Lane student Jon Campollo said he had given blood in the past, and enjoyed his experience.
“It was very tiring. They took a good amount of blood, and since I didn’t eat anything, it was a lot,” he said.

Although his donation took a lot of his energy, Campollo said he would definitely donate blood again in the future.

“I’ll do it as many times as I need to,” he said.

Lane student Jessica Davenport said that when it comes to blood work, students have nothing to fear.

“It only hurts when they put the needle in. It’s like a bee sting,” Davenport said.

White said donating blood can provide donors with a great feeling that keeps them returning in the future.

“It’s like going to the spa, you know? Or you’re going to your grandmother’s house,” White said. “You get the cookie and the pampered treatment, really.”