Down to the wire

Posted on March 2, 2014 | in Basketball, News, Sports | by

Lane tied for first in South Region, with one game remaining

Coming off of a 96-45 win against Portland Community College on Feb. 15, the Lane Titans took the court against the winless Mount Hood Community College Saints in Eugene on Feb. 18, making up a cancelled game from Feb. 8.

After a series of slow starts, Lane was able to put up 57 points in the first half. Freshman Marikah Wright dominated the first half, contributing 23 points and seven boards while shooting 10-of-11 from the field.

The Titans were able to string together a 27-6 run to end the half.

With a 30-point advantage going into the second half, Lane showed no sign of slowing down. Opening up the half with another huge run of 20-4, the Titans were able to produce a 77-31 lead at one point. Lane unloaded the bench with a 50-point lead while 13 minutes remained in the game and cruised to an impressive 101-41 victory. Wright led all scorers with 25 points and 11 rebounds, and 11 Titans scored at least three points.

Sophomore starting guard Tori Mahaffie suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury going for a block midway through the second half. Mahaffie did not return to the game and Lane head coach Greg Sheley said he wasn’t yet sure of the severity of the injury.

On Feb. 19, the Titans continued their hot streak with a 118-58 win over the South- western Oregon Community College Lakers. The Titans shot 22-of-46 from the three-point line and broke the school record for most three-pointers in a game.

They set the previous record of 20 earlier this season.

Freshman Niki Duncan shot 7-of-10 from beyond the arc for a team-high 25 points, and freshman Gabby Heehn knocked down six three-pointers.

“This is what you’re sup- posed to do when you’re a championship level team,” Sheley said. “You’re supposed to take care of business like we have the last three games, get a lot of kids a lot of play- ing time and have a lot of fun and get excited.”

With the two victories, Lane is now 9-2 in South Region play and locked with the Umpqua Community College Riverhawks for first place in the region.

Lane will play its last game of the season Feb. 22 at Chemeketa Community Col- lege in Salem, while Umpqua will finish up its season at Mount Hood Community College in Gresham. If both teams win their last game, Lane will automatically win the South Region due to the NWAACC’s tie-breaker process for first-place teams.

Each team in the region is given a seed number, and the teams rotate numbers at the end of each season. So for example, this season, Lane’s seed number is two, and next season it will be three.

Umpqua’s seed is four, so if Lane wins, the Titans will be crowned champions of the South Region because they own the higher seed this season.