Former Titans garner all-conference accolades at Humboldt State

Posted on March 7, 2014 | in News | by

Megan Shields and Kersey Wilcox recognized for accomplishments on the court

One year after they brought a Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges championship back to Lane, two former Titans women’s basketball players have earned all-conference accolades at Humboldt State University.

Humboldt Lumberjacks guard Kersey Wilcox was named newcomer of the year in the California Collegiate Athletic Association in addition to being named a first team all-conference selection.

Megan Shields, the Lumberjacks’ forward, earned second-team all-CCAA honors.

The duo spent two years as teammates at Lane before announcing in Spring 2013 that they would both transferring to Humboldt State University in Arcata, Calif.

Lane Titans women’s basketball head coach Greg Sheley, who coached Shields and Wilcox during their time at Lane, said he was thrilled to see his former players achieving success, especially at such a high level.

“The CCAA is one of the top two, maybe three, Division II conferences in the nation, so for them to do that well in that conference is a really good job,” Sheley said.

All-conference selections are made by the coaches from the conference’s member schools. Every head coach must vote, and no coach can vote for their own players.

Sheley said the two former Lane standouts were able to evolve as players this season, especially when it came to the offensive aspects of their game.

Wilcox made 45 percent of her three-point field goals this season and led the Jacks with 15.2 points per game and 99 assists.

Wilcox said she had a lot of fun this season.

“I worked hard during the summer, so these awards are very reassuring,” Wilcox said. “It makes me want to work even harder to prepare for next year.”

Shields said she was humbled by the recognition.

“Coming in as a junior in my first season at Humboldt, to be on the all-conference team means that other coaches recognize me and what I do for the team. It’s a huge honor,” Shields said. “I am just so grateful I had the opportunity to be chosen.”

Shields, a former NWAACC tournament most valuable player when she was playing at Lane, boasted the league’s highest shooting-percentage from the field and outpaced all other CCAA players when it came to blocking shots. Shield averaged 2.4 blocks per game.

Shields still holds the all-time single-season and career records for blocks at Lane.

Sheley said it was a great year for his former players and he’s proud of them.

“We send a lot of kids on. For some reason or another, some have had success and some haven’t,” Sheley said. “But (it’s great) to have both of those kids do really well and have so much success in their first year out.”

Sheley, who has won four NWAACC championships during his coaching career, said the perceived successes of student-athletes after transferring from Lane can be an effective tool for evaluating a junior-college basketball program.

For Sheley, it’s always been about being able to put players in a position to succeed at the next level.

“That’s absolutely what our job is (as coaches), and that’s what we sell when we recruit: that we are a steppingstone to the next level,” Sheley said.