Lane updates standards for next academic year

Posted on March 10, 2014 | in News | by

Courses, workshops offered to students getting off track

With new minimum academic standards rolling out this year, administrators want to spread the word about workshops and other resources that could help students stay on track to graduate.

As of Summer 2013, credit student must pass 67 percent of credits they enroll in each term as well as achieve at least a 2.0 GPA.

These standards were made to increase efficiency. They aim to save students time and money lost when a class is dropped or not passed.

“One thing that is known is that over 70 percent of students who don’t get their degrees end up defaulting on student loans,” TRiO Director Mary Parthemer said. “It then becomes difficult to get out of default or even to get a job because employers look at credit rating.”

Students are assessed after grades are posted each term. If standards are not met, Lane will intervene with what they call alerts.

The first alert is an online Keys to Success course, which provides students with information about Lane’s departments and resources. It promotes the development of a personal success plan, as well as strategies to follow through with that plan.

“Excellent students use tutors and study groups and take advantage of resources,” Parthemer said.

The second alert is an in-person Keys to Success workshop, which is meant to do the same thing with the added value of interaction with peer mentors. The third alert requires a one-credit College Success: Back on Course class. The fourth is dismissal for at least a term and requires a petition to re-enroll, along with a plan for success.

“We have been working on this for a number of years for when students get off track even a little bit … The intention is not to punish students,” Parthemer said. “This is short-term because we don’t want students to lose financial aid.”

The delivery of the information about what students can use to succeed is a key aspect of the system and has been a primary focus of people involved.

“We have been working on format and structure over the course of the last two terms and have overhauled the whole thing,” ASLCC Communications Director Robert Schumacher said. Schum- acher is a peer mentor in the workshop.

There are usually two to three in person student success workshops per week and are usually 110 minutes long.

“I have been through it and see why it is a good idea, and why they are doing it, but I am still half for it and half against it,” Lane student Brittany Glenzor said. “It’s a pain in the ass because they don’t open stuff so people can actually go through it.”

It will take at least two years to start seeing noticable results because after that time, the majority of students attending will have learned under this new standard.

“The most beneficial thing about this is that it allows students to step back and really examine the problems they have, and identifying solutions to those problems. They end up recognizing the skills necessary to succeed,” Schumacher said.