18 Titans compete at Oregon Preview

Posted on March 24, 2014 | in News, Sports, Track and Field | by

Lane track and field athletes tested their talents against some of the nation’s elite teams at the March 22 Oregon Preview at Hayward Field.

(For photos from the Oregon Preview, please visit http://tinyurl.com/lm3r9y9.)

Eighteen Lane athletes met the necessary marks to qualify for the event, which featured Division I schools such as University of Gonzaga, University of Portland, Oregon State University and the University of Oregon.

Mount Hood and Clackamas community colleges were the only other Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges teams in attendance.

Freshman distance runners Alli Cross and Katy Potter started the Titans off with 14th- and 17th-place finishes, respectively, in the meet’s first event, the 3,000-meter run. Cross finished in a time of 10:39.63, while Potter followed with a time of 10:44.22.

Titans freshman Jonathan Cornish followed suit with a strong performance. He set a personal record of 3:59.22, placing 17th overall in the men’s 3,000-meter event and eighth in his heat.

Freshman Nicole Maurmann rounded out the Titans distance competitors by finishing 28th in the women’s 1,500-meter with a time of 4:56.31.

Four Titans pole vaulters competed on the women’s side, and two on the men’s.

Sophomores Anna Jensen and Janelle Noga each cleared 11’7.55” feet, and freshman Anna Loken, competing unattached, cleared 10’8” feet to finish seventh. Sophomore Kayla Vasquez failed to clear opening height.

Fellow sophomores Luke McKay and Zach Olivera finished eighth and ninth in the men’s pole vault. McKay cleared 14’1.25” feet, while Olivera missed opening height.

Titans decathletes Colton Thurman and Dylan Hamming finished fifth and eighth in the 110-meter high hurdles, with times of 15.79 and 16.31 seconds, respectively.

Lane heptathlete Kara Hallock finished fifth overall with a time of 15 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles. The race coincided with the women’s long jump, in which Hallock also participated.

She ran her heat between long jump attempts and returned to the jump pit to complete her final two jumps. Hallock finished fifth in the long jump with a best of 17’8.25”.

Former Lane athlete Rochelle Pappel also competed in the 100-meter hurdles. She finished sixth in 15.19 seconds.

Freshman Macaulay Wilson finished third in her heat and ninth overall in the women’s 400-meter dash with a time 58.56, a half-second better than her performance at the Lane preview during the previous week.

No Titans competed in the men’s 400-meter race, but Titans assistant track coach Travis Thompson, a former Titans and Ducks sprinter who now competes for the bowerman Athletic Club, finished third overall with a time of 47.93 seconds.

Sophomore Leah Wilson entered in both the women’s hammer throw and shot put. She pulled out of the hammer event before it began, but came back to finish third in the shot put with a heave of 41’9.25”.

Jesse Goodier, a freshman who earned a high school state championship last spring at Hayward Field, was the Titans’ lone entry in the men’s sprint events. Goodier finished fifth in 11.05 seconds.

In the women’s 800-meter, freshman Kristine Dunn was seventh entering the bell lap, but made a move with 300 meters to go and moved her way up to finish fifth in her heat with a time of 2:19.44. Dunn finished 16th overall.

Two Titans competed in the 400-meter hurdles: Last year’s NWAACC champion, sophomore Sean McGetrick finished second in his heat in 54.81 seconds, while freshman Justin Angove finished third in the same heat with a time of 55.96 seconds.

McGetrick and Angove finished sixth and ninth overall, respectively.

Lane sophomore Jalen Tims competed unattached for the Titans in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, and finished fifth in her heat and seventh overall in 1:06.51.

Also competing unattached, Lane sophomore Kristin Clark finished sixth in the triple jump with a leap of 36’7”, two feet longer than her performance the previous week.

Sophomore Madison Seaman placed third in the discus, with her best throw flying 148’3”.

Competing unattached in the high jump for the Titans, freshman Dakarai Hightower claimed the Titans’ lone victory of the day.

With the crowd giving him a famous Hayward clap on his final attempt, Hightower narrowly missed the final height of 7’2” and settled for a first-place tie with Kei-Jian Buckley of Portland gym Beast Fit Nation at 7’1”.

Lane concluded the afternoon with both of its 4×400-meter relay teams competing in the meet’s final event.

The men’s team, which consisted of Goodier, Thurman, Hamming and sophomore Diego Gonzalez, finished third in its heat in 3:24.84.

Lane’s women’s team — Wilson, Hallock, Dunn and freshman Laura Donaldson — finished the long relay in a time of 4:03.35.

Dunn gave the Titans on early lead, but Lane was overtaken on the following legs by UO and Seattle Pacific University. Wilson anchored the Titans with a strong final leg and passed Michelle Stolz of Western Washington University with 100 meters remaining to help the Titans finish third.

Over a dozen 2013 Division I All-Americans competed against the Titans, including UO athletes Arthur Delaney, Sam Crouser, Mike Berry, Anne Kesselring and Chizoba Okodogbe.

The UO women’s 4×100-meter relay team set the meet record and jumped up to sixth place in the Ducks’ all-time record board. Phyllis Francis, Chizoba Okodogbe, Jenna Prandini, and Jasmine Todd combined to finish the relay in 44.10 seconds.

UO’s Brittany Mann moved her way into all-time second place for the women’s shot put with a throw of 53’04.50”, nearly 11 feet better than the runner-up. .

Siuslaw High School senior Mitchell Butler finished 21st in the men’s 3,000-meter event. By nearly 20 seconds, Butler’s 8:37.39 is the time to beat this season among Oregon athletes.

Former Olympian Bridget Franek of Nike Oregon Track Club Elite won the women’s 3,000-meter event with a time of 9:27.36.

Following the women’s 800-meter event, the UO men’s and women’s teams were both honored for winning the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, which concluded on March 15 in Albuquerque.