Lane sweeps Clackamas in four-game series

Posted on April 17, 2014 | in Baseball, News, Sports | by

[Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Sophomore left fielder Darin Nelson relays to sophomore shortstop Tucker Campbell during the April 11 game against Clackamas. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

[Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Sophomore Jarren Goddard slides safely into home during a 5-0 game against Clackamas on April 11. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Sophomore left fielder Darin Nelson relays to sophomore shortstop Tucker Campbell during the April 11 game against Clackamas. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]Sophomore Jarren Goddard slides safely into home during a 5-0 game against Clackamas on April 11. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Jarren Goddard lifts Titans over Cougars with walk-off homerun

The Titans beat the Clackamas Community College Cougars in both games of their April 11 doubleheader in Eugene. Sophomore Jarren Goddard’s walkoff home run high- lighted the closing game in the series.

The Titans were able to hold Clackamas to just one run over the two games.

The final score of the first game was 5-0 in the Titans’ favor.

Sophomore Pitcher Jared Priestley recorded his second win, throwing seven innings and striking out eight batters.

Freshman catcher Kyle Beam had a successful day at the plate, batting 3-for-3 driving in a run.

After a short break, the Titans went on to beat Clackamas 2-1 in the second nightcap.

Sophomore Pitcher Eric Ruaro started the second game, striking out four batters. He was pulled after the fifth inning allowing one run.

With the Titans trailing after 1-0 in the fifth inning, they were able to claw their way to a victory.

Goddard continued his dominance at the plate by recording his fourth home run and his 21st RBI. In the bottom of the ninth when the game was tied at 1-1, Goddard hit a walkoff homerun to finish the game. Freshman Shane Quarterley registered the win while striking out three batters.

The Titans continued their prowess the next day by picking up two more victories over cougars in Oregon City pushing their record to 16-8 and propelling them into second place in their division.

Starting sophomore pitcher Jeff Hardy opened up the first game.

Hardy was able to produce five strikeouts while only allowing one run. After claiming another win, Hardy brought his pitching record to 3-2.

Goddard drove home his 22nd RBI, and the Titans went on to win 2-1.

Sophomore Parker Sherrell started the second game on the mound.

He was pulled after only pitching 2.2 innings and al- lowing six runs off of nine hits.

Sophomore Travis Kelley, Sherrell’s replacement, was able to collect the win giving him a 1-0 personal record. In a high-scoring game that ended with the Titans on top with an 11-6 final score, sophomore Konner Reddick drove in five runs, and Goddard also picked up his fourth RBI in the past three games. He now has 23 RBIs on the season.