The disarray relay

Posted on May 1, 2014 | in NWAACC, Sports, Track and Field | by

Sp.Twilight01.EWJ

Lane sophomore Cody Cowdin hands the baton off to sophomore Sean McGetrick during the 4x400 meter relay at the Titan Twilight on April 24. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]

Sp.Twilight03.AS

Lane sophomore Alex Sattley placed first in the triple jump with a leap of 45'00.5" during the April 24 Titan Twilight meet. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Sp.Twilight04.AS

Sophomore Sean McGetrick finished first in the 110-meter hurdles at the Titan Twilight on April 24. McGetrick ran a time of 14.82 seconds. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Lane sophomore Cody Cowdin hands the baton off to sophomore Sean  McGetrick during the 4x400 meter relay at the Titan Twilight on April 24. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]Lane sophomore Alex Sattley placed first in the triple jump with a leap of 45'00.5" during the April 24 Titan Twilight meet. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]Sophomore Sean McGetrick finished first in the 110-meter hurdles at the Titan Twilight on April 24. McGetrick ran a time of 14.82 seconds. [Alyssa Sutton/ The Torch]

Spontaneous final race tops off successful mid-week meet for the Titans

The April 24 Titan Twilight featured everything you could ask for in a track meet.

At Lane’s annual meet, fans witnessed numerous personal bests broken, a school record for the second time in less than a week, and a chaotic 4×400-meter relay that featured five different Titan crews competing for bragging rights.

With four Titans’ men’s teams entered in the long relay, and just one women’s team, Lane head coach Grady O’Connor decided to combine the two relays, as they were the last two events of the meet.

The decision led to plenty of excitement and friendly trash talk between the Titans athletes.

“Oh yeah, we were definitely talking,” freshman Weston Petewon said. “I told Neal (Larson) that I was going to crush him when we ran our leg. Man, he pulled away, but it was all good.”

Coaches were on hand to record splits, but there were no official times taken from the relay.

Several minutes before the relay began, four athletes from the UO Running Club walked over to the starting line and said they wanted to compete as well.

They were allowed to run, but did not have a ba- ton. Instead, they used a water bottle.

“The climate was right for it, so we didn’t have a problem with it,” O’Connor said. “It was fun.”

Although the evening ended on a lighthearted note, the Titans were all business on the track prior to the closing relay.

Freshman Dakarai Hightower broke his own school high jump record with a leap of 7’1.5″, just six days after he shattered Kelly Graham’s school record, set in 1976.

In the horizontal jumps, Lane sophomore Alex Sattley won the triple jump with a final mark of 40’00.5″ and placed third in the long jump. Sattley is currently ranked second in the NWAACC for the triple jump.

Sophomore Jalen Timms turned out solid performances in both the 100-and 200-meter dashes. She now ranks in the top four in the conference in three different sprint events, as well as first in the 400-meter intermediate hurdles.

Sophomores Leah Wilson and Madison Seaman finished first and second in the hammer toss, respectively, and both set season personal bests. Seaman also won the shot put and discus, with Wilson placing second in the shot.

Lane’s pole vaulters placed two athletes in the top three on the men’s side and swept the podium in the women’s event.

Despite finishing first in the men’s vault, Lane sophomore Zach Olivera said he wasn’t happy with his performance.

“I was hoping to at least come out here and get 16’6″. I’ve been jumping 17 feet in practice,” Olivera said. “Mentally, I just need to figure out when I get on the runway in meets, because obviously in warmups and practice, I have the right mindset.”

The Titans will return to action when athletes who meet qualifying marks will travel to Corvallis for the OSU High Performance Meet. Non-qualifying athletes will travel to Forest Grove for the Pacific Twilight, a two-day meet from May 2 to May 3.