Titans seek region championship

Posted on May 8, 2014 | in NWAACC, Sports, Track and Field | by

Sp.Track02.EWJ

Lane freshman David Cornish takes the baton from his brother Jonathan to begin the third leg of the men’s 4x400-meter relay at the April 24 Titan Twilight. Jonathan Cornish is second in the conference in the 5,000-meter run and David Cornish ranks fourth. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]

Eugene on Saturday, March 22, 2014. (Eugene Johnson/The Torch)

Freshman Nicole Maurmann ran a 4:56.31 in the women's 1,500-meter relay at the March 22 Oregon Preview at Hayward field. Maurmann is second in the conference in both the 1,500- and 5,000-meter runs. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]

Lane freshman David Cornish takes the baton from his brother Jonathan to begin the third leg of the men’s 4x400-meter relay at the April
24 Titan Twilight. Jonathan Cornish is second in the conference in the 5,000-meter run and David Cornish ranks fourth. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]Freshman Nicole Maurmann ran a 4:56.31 in the women's 1,500-meter relay at the March 22 Oregon Preview at Hayward field. Maurmann is second in the conference in both the 1,500- and 5,000-meter runs. [Eugene Johnson/ The Torch]
Lane men will battle Clackamas for 11th consecutive title, women favored to win fifth straight

Lane track and field competed in the last meet of the regular season at the May 2 Oregon State University High Performance Meet, and now have their eyes set on the NWAACC Southern Region Championships.

The Titans’ men have brought home the previous 10 Southern Region titles, while the women have claimed nine of the past 10. This year, both teams are in the mix to add to the school’s trophy case. However, the battle for the men’s title could be much closer than in recent years.

Clackamas Community College has four athletes who own the top spot in the conference in their respective events and 19 ranked in the top five. Lane has 26 athletes ranked in the top five, while six Titans’ men are at the top of the form chart in individual events.

Several Lane athletes are dealing with injuries, and Lane head coach Grady O’Connor said that his main focus is on keeping his athletes healthy for the NWAACC Championships, even if it means sacrificing points at regionals.

“We aren’t going to have everybody compete in two or three events like we will at NWAACCs,” O’Connor said. “It’s team track and field; we want to defend the title and win the team championship, but we’re not going to do it at the cost of people’s fitness.”

Freshman Rohan Cain had a breakout meet for the Titans at OSU. He finished seventh in the 400-meter dash in a time of 48.73 seconds and eighth in the 200-meters in 22.1 seconds. Both marks were lifetime bests for Cain.

O’Connor said that Cain and sophomores Diego Gonzales were both “a little banged up after the meet” and injuries will limit their participation at regionals.

“The meet was great but we had a few setbacks,” O’Connor said. “So we’re in scramble mode and hopefully those guys will be back for (the NWAACC championships). But for now, we’re two bodies lighter for regionals.”

Freshman Jonathan and David Cornish both ran season-bests in the men’s 5,000-meter race, with times of 15:24.89 and 15:28, respectively. Jonathan Cornish now owns the second-fastest 5,000-meter time in the conference this season, while David Cornish owns the fourth-fastest.

The highlight of the meet for the Titans came in the women’s 5,000 meter run, where three Lane runners set season bests and two ran lifetime best times.
Freshman Nicole Maurmann finished third with a time of 18:10.28. She was followed by freshman Katy Potter in fourth at 18:16.8 and freshman Alli Cross in fifth at 18:18.01.

“The distance girls all ran well and they ran together,” O’Connor said. “Huge PR’s for all of them. The 5K was just a great tune-up for them.”

Maurmann, Potter and Cross now own the second-, third- and fourth-fastest 5,000-meter times in the conference. Community Colleges of Spokane sophomore Jessica Mildes, who recently signed with Gonzaga University, owns the top time at 16:47.

Lane sophomore Madison Seaman set an NWAACC leading mark in the discus with a throw of 149’10″ and finished seventh. Sophomore Kristin Clark finished sixth in the long jump with a season best leap of 17’07″.

The Southern Region Championships will be held in Gresham on May 10, and the NWAACC championships will take place in Spokane, Wash. on May 19 and 20.