Library to move this summer

Posted on June 5, 2014 | in News | by

Center Building construction continues

Workers will begin moving books, computers, and furniture as the Library is displaced to Building 18. The partial relocation starting this summer is part of the continued $35 million renovation of the Center Building.

Russ Pierson, the interim assistant director of Lane Facilities Management and Planning, said that the construction project costs are on target so far.

Facilities Management’s goal is to have the library back in the updated Center Building by September of 2015.

Marika Pineda, interimdirector of the Lane Library, said key services of the library will move starting mid- to late August. The library may be closed for a few weeks during the move, but librarians plan to have library services open to students in Building 18 by the start of fall term.

A smaller collection, which will include reference materials, popular fiction, picture books, young adult novels, maps, atlases, DVDs, and English as a Second Language materials, will be browsable in Building 18, while the rest of the library’s collections will only be accessible to librarians, who will fetch students any book by request.

Public access computers and printers will be moved to Building 18 as well. Students will still have complete access to online databases, which includes digital books. Furthermore, students will still be able to borrow books from the Orbis Cascade Alliance, a consortium of 37 academic libraries that shares resources.

“The Lane Library is a portal to the world — no matter what size it is,” Pineda said. However, students may need to find other spots around campus to study and read because space is going to be tight.

In the long run, the construction will create an updated, better library with more space than before, including 18 study rooms of various sizes, updated technology and more computers.

Steve Stearns and Tanner Perrine with Lease Crutcher Lewis, the construction contractor for the site, said construction is going smoothly, with no delays.

When asked if they had run into any construction issues, Project Manager Tanner Perrine said, “Not so far, but we haven’t started demolition (inside the Center Building).”

He said they should be more than capable of working around any problem that could possibly arise.

The target completion date for the entire renovation project, which includes the new Titan Store, a remodeled cafeteria, tutoring centers, an open plaza, and a state-of-the-art library with private computer labs and study rooms, is January 2016.

The bookstore and food services will not move this summer, but both will be renovated by the time the project reaches completion.The new Titan Store, with ground-level access, is scheduled to be completed by January 2015. The updated food court, with a variety of new food options, will be finished at a later date.

Further information about the library move and continued construction will be released soon.

“We will keep students and staff fully informed throughout the project. We’re working on a campus-wide communication that will go out the week before finals,” Pierson wrote in an email.

Also, Pineda said the library will release its own FAQs on its website by the time it moves to Building 18.