The Torch staff: advice and learning

Posted on June 5, 2014 | in Guest Commentary, Opinion | by

Alyssa sutton
Editor-in-chief
For the last time, I am creating a document on Google Drive, watching the cursor move down the page, and thinking, “This is it.”
I will never again create another article, take another photo or read another piece of copy for The Torch. I will go on, creating other articles, taking other photos, reading other copy — just not here. With a major in photojournalism, and acceptance to a couple of incredible programs out of state, I am thrilled to continue pursuing the crazy life of a journalist.

Nine months ago, when I first walked into a nearly deserted office with the goal of taking a few photos, I never imagined I would be where I am now. Now, leaving the editor-in-chief position with more experience and insight than I could have ever gained in a classroom, I can only thank The Torch and the wonderful advisers and staff who work here.

At The Torch, I’ve learned to always have coffee handy. I’ve learned how to interview effectively. I’ve learned to live on four hours of sleep a night. I’ve learned how to listen to people. I’ve learned how to write. I’ve learned about ethics. I’ve learned how to photograph. I’ve learned about teamwork. I’ve learned about design. I’ve learned about things on this campus I never thought I would ever have an interest in. I’ve learned about deadlines. I’ve learned to troubleshoot.

This has been a life-changing experience for me. Not just in things I have done, or things I have learned, but the people I have worked with. Every person who has walked through this door has taught me something, and I appreciate them all.

Lastly, I’ve learned that there will always be more to learn.

So, goodbye Lane campus. I’m off to learn something more, somewhere else.

Penny scott
A&C editor
Advertising implies that buying stuff will make your life better.

Goal-setting promises satisfaction from achievement.

Both buying things and achieving goals can lead to good feelings, but they are transitory. Are you over the moon about that toy you got when you were five? Or that thing you achieved at age six? Or even last year? Life is filled with ordinary moments. Appreciating them is key to lasting happiness and contentment. Don’t sacrifice now on the altar of more stuff or a better tomorrow.

Jarrid denney
Sports editor
In the past year, I have: Conducted an interview over the phone while driving, with my phone plugged into my laptop in the passenger seat in order to keep it alive. Watched the live broadcast of a junior college baseball game online, without sound on one computer, while I watched the gamecast on another computer in order to keep track of stats. At 11:30. On a Sunday night. Developed an addiction to coffee. Pulled more all-nighters than I can count. The student-journalism grind is real, people.

Eddie Leach
Reporter
Finals will soon be finished. Graduation nears. Stress will soon abate. At least for awhile. But stress is an everyday companion as we all stumble through this maze called life. Don’t fear it. Face it! With that in mind, here are a few verses about that old devil, Stress.

STRESS
Stress will mess you never bless you spiritually undress you leave your Spirit twisting in the wind
you want to run inside
it says you can’t come in so …
don’t flip out
hang on tight
just move forward
you’ll be all right …

Wes Fry
Graphic Artist
First and foremost, meet your classmates. Making friends with people in your respective career programs is an excellent way to begin networking. Being in the design program at Lane has given me the opportunity to meet some really amazing people and work alongside them to the great benefit of my design sense and my personal perspective on life.

Also, it might seem difficult now for those so close to graduating, but in time, you will look back at this point in your life and realize what a great time it has been to learn. So enjoy it and take every day as another opportunity to learn and become a better person.

Sean hanson
Managing editor
As someone who was part of America’s workforce when the recession hit, I’m not going to sugarcoat my advice for Lane’s graduates: Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty, especially in this economy. If some guy named Vic hands you an aquamarine tank top, a Greyhound ticket to Miami and a silenced pistol, don’t look that gift horse in the mouth. You’re a hitman now. You do wet work. A job is a job, and you can’t afford to be choosy. The only time you tell Vic no is when he tells you
to feed the bodies to swamp crocs. Get a big enough freezer, you could eat for a month. That advice is worth more than money — maybe more than an associate degree.

Chayne Thomas
Reporter
Advice for grads:
First, head straight to the local Department of Human Services office. That degree wasn’t cheap. The DHS
can set you up with food stamps, housing, and even help you find a job! Second, sell all the clothes you wore to school. Dressing nicer can help you find a job, and you won’t be able to dress the same way at work as you did on the Lane campus. Also, don’t forget about selling all those old textbooks. You won’t be needing the information in them ever again. Finally, get yourself
a cheap beer. You earned it! Congratulations!

Courtney springer
Reporter
Every term, I start off believing, “I got this!” Every term, I find myself shaking my head, wondering where it went wrong. I end up with good grades, but the immense amount of stress I have to endure to get there leaves me concerned for my personal health. A lot can happen in 10 weeks, so start those projects and papers early! Plan for procrastination, or at least come to terms with the idea that life sometimes throws a curve-ball.