Kira Jones selected as Editor-in-Chief for next school year

0
128
// Media Credit Template Tag

A new Editor-in-Chief was selected for The Torch on May 20. She plans to tackle recruitment and deepen the organization’s relationship with the community during the 2016-17 school year.

“I’m super excited about it. I know it’s going to be a challenge,” Kira Jones, the next Editor-in-Chief, said.

Jones, a multimedia major at Lane, is currently the Photo Editor for The Torch.

Appointed by the Media Commission — the primary policy-making body for student publications and media at Lane — Jones wants to continue to propel the school news organization forward.

“I wanted to make sure that positive direction happens, and I know that I can do that,” Jones said.

Jones joined The Torch in October of 2015 as a photojournalist, and worked her way up to Photo Editor by Winter Term of 2016. Prior to Lane, she was on the yearbook staff at Willamette High School starting in 2013, and rose to senior editor of the yearbook during the 2014-15 school year.

Production Director Zack Russell has worked with Jones since she was a photojournalist, and had nothing but praise for her work ethic. Russell did mention she struggled with shyness at first when trying to lead the photojournalism staff.

“[Jones] was hesitant at first, but she did end up taking charge and her employees respected her more for it,” Russell said.

One of Jones’ primary goals is recruitment. In addition to the traditional methods of talking to classes and tabling in common areas, she plans to reach out to high school seniors who may be coming to Lane — particularly yearbook staffers.

“It could get some new people in here, some new perspectives,” Jones said. “They’ll have a lot more to learn, [and] it could influence the learning environment that we try to create at The Torch.

Over the summer, Jones plans to get a head start on next year through building her staff and covering events. She hopes to publish some content on The Torch website over the summer, and expects to resume the print edition close to the beginning of fall term.

“It all depends on how things go with staffing,” Jones said.

Ultimately, she wants to strengthen the publication’s relationship with the community and improve The Torch’s image.

“I want people to know that The Torch exists and to know that we’re not out to get them,” Jones said. “I want people to know that they can trust us for the truth.”

Editors note: If you would like more information about joining next years staff, please fill out an application at lcctorch.com/join-us/ and email Kira Jones at editor@lcctorch.com.