Torch maintains flame of excellence

Student newspaper wins multiple awards in statewide contest

0
0
Hunter Ruland / The Torch
The Torch staff holds 12 of the 15 awards that were collected at the ONPA Collegiate Day 2017.

The Torch recently made a significant showing at an awards ceremony for the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association, winning multiple awards. ONPA is a statewide trade association that represents professional and collegiate newspapers and offers a variety of awards each year.

At its annual conference, held in April at Linn-Benton Community College in Albany, Ore. The Torch took home a total of 15 awards. Five of these awards were for the newspaper as a whole and the remaining 10 were for individual students. The publication won first place best house advertisement; second place best section; third place best editorial; third place best web site and third place general excellence.

The awards won by individual students ranged from first place best review to second place best photography with illustrators, columnists, reporters and photographers all represented.

Lane’s independent student newspaper of record also won second place best in show at a conference in March and has one more competition that has yet to be announced. The Torch will also again be submitting to the nationally recognized Pacemaker Award at the end of the school year.

Last year The Torch was a finalist in this competition amongst the top 30 college newspapers in the nation.

[adrotate group="3"]