Lane student senators are keeping themselves busy finding the next treasurer. Several ideas were proposed in light of this situation. Other motions proposed in Thursday’s meeting were also easily approved, or discussed for later approval.
- A motion proposed by Student Senator Cairo Smith to hire a treasurer was passed 5-0-3.
- A gallery statement by student Rick Williams, with the leadership of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance, proposed the hiring of a Gender and Sexuality Diversity Advocate.
- Williams said, “When we don’t have a GSDA the seat is empty, and should be filled by someone who is an active member of the GSA.”
- The motion to hire a GSDA was voted on and passed 7-0-1. Student Senator Evelyn Sanders said just before the vote took place, “I believe it is in the greatest of interest of students for us that we get someone in there.”
- Senator Shawn Goddard announced the Men in Transition study session will now be meeting Wednesdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Center Building, Room 202. “We’re having a lot of students that are turning up to help peer-tutor each other, and to help many with the institutions of financial aid, veteran services and things of that nature,” Goddard said.
- Senator Wilgen Brown announced the Gender Sexuality Alliance will be meeting Fridays between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. in Building 30, Room 124.
- A motion proposed by Senator Shawn Goddard, meant to address the budget as soon as possible, advocated for a formation of a treasury committee to manage the budget until a treasurer can be hired. The motion passed 6-1-1.
The next ASLCC meeting is Thursday, Oct. 26 at 4 p.m. in Building 3, room 216.